Monday 22 September 2014

Vandange



Me and my Missouri are somewhere in south France. it’s been already few weeks since we left England. For most of the time we enjoy sunshine and.. hard work. Yep - we went to experience how it is like to be a vandanger. This is a name of a person who is picking grapes from wine trees. France is commonly well known producer of wine. First week was very hard, as I was not used to this kind of work. My back, knee and tights pain was “killing” me. But slowly and with help of special supportive belt I managed to survive until now ;) I meet up with few of my friends,  some of them I met at Slow Down Festival in July in Poland, where I was building ceramic kiln, and doing shiatsu massage curse... Also already being here I met more cool people who like I, are on a journey. Some just for money to finance their life projects, or studies, some forever travellers doing occasional work to continue their trips. Sometimes I feel that I might become one of them. Just for a while. Just to experience how it is like to be a world citizen. Also - next month, very very soon is happening famous Rainbow festival in Spain, and I am considering going there. It’s awesome gathering of people who love Mother Earth, who are looking for more in life then just a usual job, who fill up system gaps and follow the crowds. I nearly forgot that  I used to wanted to be part of this gathering. It is always happening somewhere in the world and no one knows where until just before. Every time is in different country. ~to find out about it, you have to know some one who is part of it.. It’s something like a secret society, but without annual fees, and dark rituals ;) Well, I don’t know.. Never been there. I hope I will find my way there.

But before I will, there is still work to be done. Now, we are already in 3rd grapes picking place, and with another patron. New winery is located in beautiful mountainous landscape. Fields with wine are a bit steep, and it might be a bit difficult to work, but it actually is very nice place. Also this guy does organic grapes - no pesticides! That also means that fields are full of weeds ;( We are based in tiny domain which is in private hands only 2nd year! There is only 6 of us for work (previous place employed about 50 - 70 (including drivers, and sorters. House has very basics facilities, including outdoor toilet and cold shower made with spare hose pipe ;) I am being paid for work, and have food and living for free - so it’s not bad, especially that I am close to nature and with my dog. House looks like a summer gite, only for workers in season, but it’s very nice. As soon ss we arrived, we felt that we want to clean it up, paint and make a living house!



 It’s almost 11 at night, and my companions are having jam session, 2 of them play african instruments called balafon, and 3rd plays saxofon. Almost every night there is good music around that makes work more pleasant. Also loads of wine! - they drink it here for breakfast, lunch and dinner!! unbelievable! :) At first it was fun - but after 2 weeks I started to miss normal cup of tea! Also, right now, below the floor where I sit, there is massive container with almost 4 thousands litters of wine made last year, ready to be bottled, and we have a key to it, so we can enjoy it at any time! 
Also, every day after work I am so tired that no matter of what I fall asleep like a stone and wake up in the morning for work with the sunrise. There is no sundays, but occasional days off work to catch a breath. 



No comments:

Post a Comment